*Disclaimer* This post is in NO way intended to insult or put down those who can not or chose not to breastfeed their children. It is simply making a point that some of the things we are told about breastfeeding or are feeding to our next generation of moms are not only false but also uneducated. At times including advice that comes from our Doctors.
There are still a ton of myths about breastfeeding out there, especially here in the US. Everything from how it will effect your baby, to how it will effect your body! Here are a few of my favorite myths and stories
- Breastfeeding a little boy will make him obsessed with boobs. (Ask most Europeans and they will tell you they laugh at American men because they are soooo obsessed with boobs, even though most of them were NOT Breastfed)
- On a similar note. Breastfeeding your daughter will make her a lesbian. I’m not sure how the world survived and we were able to continue as a species before formula and bottles were invented! We would have been a society of lesbians and horny men! Maybe that is why cavemen had to hit their women on the head and drag them back to their caves!
- Breastfeeding will make your nipples long. Similar to the, Breastfeeding will make your boobs sag. Hate to break it to you folks but just because you don’t nurse doesn’t mean that your body is NOT going to produce milk, and those wonderful boobs of yours are probably not going to the same again!
- Breastfed babies get teeth later because it makes their gums harder. Really?!? have you ever chewed on a rubber nipple? How in the world could a natural nipple be harder on the gums? Besides, ask any dentist and they will tell you, the later the teeth come in the better!
- You need to drink a lot of milk to successfully breastfeed. Because our bodies are just filters for cows milk?
- You are just doing it for you and not for the baby any more. Yes because that is what every mom wants, to have to get up every 2 hours (or less) to have a small person suck on her nipple? Because I would not rather sleep through the night like my Significant Other gets to?
- This one is for the single moms out there. If you don’t stop breastfeeding you will never get a date! Because I Am sure that is exactly what you are thinking about as you are taking care of your perfectly perfect little nursling!
- My baby is hungry all the time because my boobs leak all the milk that is supposed to be for my baby. Really? Really? I would have killed to ever have had enough milk to actually leak!!!
- You can’t breastfeed a boy once he turns 1 because it becomes too sexual. I mean my little boy just woke up on his first birthday and started looking at me as a sex object? CooCoo!!
- Colostrum is not real milk and it will make your baby sick. Hmmmm…I think we need to learn a little more before about breastfeeding before telling anyone this!
- You can’t eat foods with too much fat because it will make your milk stringy and it won’t come out. While I do believe that we need to take care of our bodies even when nursing that doesn’t mean that I’m not going to enjoy the occasional Burger and Fries! And last I checked it didn’t make me produce string cheese!
- If you don’t feed your baby every two hours your milk will turn into butter. Butter?!? Seriously?!? Its like our boobs are just churns and running around for two hours must be just enough to turn it to milk! :)
Need a little more Breastfeeding talk? Check out these other articles!