Tailor Made Momma Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Heinz Vinegar. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and as a thank you for participating.
Ok so it won’t be totally chemical free but this is a GREAT and inexpensive way to start!It used to be that Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) was something that I only bought when I was making coleslaw (Heinz has a great one here). It just wasn’t something that I used all that often. Actually it was something that I just didn’t know what else to do with! Over the last few years as I have worked on cutting as many chemicals out of our day to day lives and try to live a slightly more natural life I have found apple cider vinegar to be a new staple not only in my cooking but in my day to day life in my kitchen and the rest of my house!
When I was asked by Heinz to talk about how I use apple cider vinegar in my life I was ecstatic to share it with all of you! Here are my top 5 uses for apple Cider Vinegar in my kitchen (and a few other uses too!)
1. Cooking. Well this one is kind of obvious but I have a new found love for cooking with ACV. I use it for everything from salad dressings to meatballs! It definitely adds a new dimension to my cooking and has allowed me to change things up a little when our normal “routine” starts to get stale.
2. Microwave cleaning. I used to spend 20 minutes ever other week or so trying to clean out my microwave! With 2 boys and and husband using my microwave it saw its fair share of splatters and they usually weren’t cleaned up right away! ACV makes the clean up easy and leaves my kitchen smelling of apples instead of bleach. I just combine 1/2 cup of ACV and 1 cup of water then put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. The steam from the vinegar mix breaks up all the stuck on grime.
3. To battle Heartburn. It never fails that when I get pregnant I get horrid heartburn! I had tried everything under the sun to help and while many worked for a short period of time I was still miserable. Then a friend told me to try ACV. At first I was reluctant and thought how is adding acid to my stomach going to help? Then I did some research and found that ACV may actually help in reducing low acid in your stomach and tell you body to stop producing it. Therefore helping with heartburn! It was definitely a life saver!
4. Dishwasher detergent. That’s right! It can be used as a substitute to dish soap in your dishwasher. While I will admit to never doing this on a regular basis I have in a pinch filled my detergent dispenser and watched my dishes come out clean and shiny! I can’t tell you that Apple Cider Vinegar will break down food particles like a commercial detergent will but it will definitely get your non-gunked up dishes clean.
5. An everyday kitchen cleaner. The same combination of 1 cup water to 1/2 cup of ACV is a great alternative to your normal bleaches and harsh chemicals. It will kill germs while again leaving your house smelling of apple instead of bleach. I actually use this combination to clean my floors. We have 4 kids and a dog and I love that they can go crawling around the floor right after I clean it and I don’t have to worry about them getting chemicals all over their hands!
Other Apple Cider Vinegar Fun Facts:
-Use to rinse your hair in the shower for extra strength and shine.
-Use a remedy for thrush! Just dilute in water and allow your nipple to soak in the vinegar.
-Use to relieve mucous build up and help with allergy symptoms. It can be as simple as taking a teaspoon of ACV 3 times a day or diluting it in water if you don’t like the taste.
-Add to weightloss. There are studies that show that ACV taken before each meal can help you lose weight.
Do you have anything else you use Apple Cider Vinegar for? Share them with us below!